A Day in the Life of Teen Vogue Intern

Carmen Huff, Ed’s President, interviewed a former Teen Vogue intern.  Here’s the inside scoop!


Denali Free is a senior at Savannah College of Art & Design studying advertising. Two summers ago – when Condé still had their intern program – she was an intern for Teen Vogue. She had a blast and returned as a freelance designer last summer. Here is what a typical day looked like:

8:15 a.m. Head out the doors of my apartment and jump on the subway. My commute started in Brooklyn Heights and ended 7 stops away at the infamous Condé Nast building in Times Square.

8:45 a.m. Join the rush of people getting off the subway at 42nd Street, dodge tourists and the ever growing group of Elmo’s, Mickey’s and Minions to finally make it to the front doors of the 4 Times Square. Walk through security and take the elevator to the Teen Vogue offices while subtly checking out (and being completely envious) all the amazing outfits everyone is wearing.

9 a.m. Walk through the glass doors and extra large Teen Vogue sign, say hello to whoever is there and walk back to my desk to drop off my bag. Then I’m back on the elevators for another fashion show down to the cafeteria. Grab a large lemon water and head back up to the office.

9:15 a.m. Grab a cup of coffee from the office kitchen and get to work. All of the bosses are arriving by this point, so it’s time to finish whatever needs to be done from the day before and prepare for my daily status meeting at 10 a.m.

10 a.m. Meet with my boss and go over what needs to be done for the day on top of my daily activities. Jobs popped up sporadically because we work with so many different clients for different events. No client ever turns in their assets at the same time, so every day is different! Finally, we discuss updates to the website we’ve been working on, review where each client is on our schedule and make sure our social media schedule is up to date.

10:30 a.m. Time to get working on the day’s activities!

1 p.m. Grab my bag, book, and lunch and head outside. I usually took lunch in Bryant Park where I could enjoy a little bit of nature. The offices were always freezing so it was nice to warm up and relax for an hour in the sunshine.

2 p.m. Grab Starbucks and head back in to the office. By this time I have usually finished my new assignments from the morning so I begin to work on my everyday assignments Those responsibilities involved posting on Teen Vogue It Girls Facebook and Twitter, making updates and new designs on the Insider pages, and checking in on the Content Management System to make sure that everything is in order (one little mistake can crash a site and make things function incorrectly, so it’s important to stay on top of it)!

4 p.m. Grab another coffee from the kitchen (I am a coffee addict) and work on the weekly newsletter, which I was in charge of designing. This was one of my favorite jobs because I created if from scratch every week and got to be really creative with it! My boss was always supportive of my creativity and would let me try new things.

5 p.m. Check in with my boss and see if there is anything else I could help her with for the day.

5:10 p.m. Check the last of my emails and head out for whatever the evening had in store!