A Day in the Life of a Daily Beast Intern

dailybeast-logoEd at Indiana web editor Rachel Osman spent summer 2013 as an entertainment editorial intern at The Newsweek Daily Beast Company in Los Angeles. Here is what a typical day looked like at her internship:

8:00 a.m. I always made sure to leave for work by this time because I had an extremely long commute (1.5-2hrs) and I wanted to make it to work at a decent time.

9:45 a.m. I usually arrived to work around this time. After attempting to not crash my car in the super tight parking garage (I only had one minor bump the whole summer, which I consider a success!), I arrived at the office, got some coffee and settled in.

10 a.m. I always started the day by checking my e-mail to see if my editors had given me any projects to work on. After this, I compiled the top five entertainment news stories of the morning and sent them to the entire entertainment team so everyone could be up-to-date on industry happenings.

11 a.m. Once a week, the the whole entertainment team would conference call and discuss the upcoming editorial schedule as well as new story ideas. Since half the team worked in Los Angeles and the other half worked at the Newsweek Daily Beast headquarters in New York City, this was a great way for everyone to collaborate and be on the same page.

12 p.m. At this time of day, I usually either researched potential story ideas or worked on stories or galleries that I had pitched or been assigned. The thing I loved most about my internship was that I was given ample opportunities to write and get published. My editors really encouraged the interns to pitch their own ideas. Even though some of my ideas didn’t get approved, it taught me a lot and I’m glad to have experience in this area.


My lunch view of LA

1 p.m. I generally ate lunch around this time. Because I was a poor intern trying to save money, I brought my lunch the majority of days. I worked in West Hollywood and my building had a beautiful rooftop area with tables and gorgeous views of Los Angeles. I loved eating lunch up there because it was a great way to relax and take a break in the middle of the day.


My lunch view of LA

1:45 p.m. After returning from lunch, I spent the rest of the day writing, researching, and doing small administrative tasks, such as updating the entertainment calendar.

5:30 p.m. I didn’t have a set time that I would leave every day as it usually depended on my workload. However, I was never expected to stay very late, which I appreciated because it took me at least two hours to drive home. Thanks, LA traffic!

Overall, I had a great internship at the Newsweek Daily Beast Company. I was given several opportunities to write, which a lot of interns at other publications don’t get to do. My editors were extremely nice and patient and treated me like a member of the staff. I also learned a ton about web and how to attract an online audience. I’m very thankful for the experience!

-Rachel Osman