A Day in the Life of a Lucky Intern

IU junior Nicole Gentile spent her summer interning at Lucky in New York City. Here is what a typical day looked like at her internship:


7:30 A.M. At what felt like the crack of dawn, I was dressed and running to catch the train to make it to work on time. Because I was living at my home on Long Island, I had to take the LIRR from Merrick to Penn Station each day, which was about an hour and a half commute.

9:00 A.M. I would always try to arrive to work by this time. I liked getting to the office (the Condé Nast building is located in Times Square) earlier than my colleagues to leave myself enough time to get settled, freshen up from the commute, and to even grab an occasional speedy breakfast with my fellow interns.   

9:45 A.M. By this time, the entire digital team had arrived at work. While my mentors got settled, I spent time on the Lucky Pinterest and Instagram accounts, as well as completing the long-term assignments that I had been given days before. These assignments included updating the Lucky Hair Lookbook, writing articles, rebuilding content onto the new software, transferring content from the print magazine to the website and IPad, as well as syndicating content using MSN. 

11:15 A.M. All members of the digital department make their way to the white board where the status of each assignment is shown. We all wrote our progress on magnets, which were then placed on a timeline. This was to make sure the site was up to date, and there would be enough content published each day, week and month.

12 P.M. Every few weeks, the digital department would meet around noon to pitch story ideas for the upcoming season. Everyone sat in their seats and bounced ideas off of each other. Because Lucky is a fashion magazine, it’s important to think outside of the box for the most creative spin on original, and somewhat repetitive stories.

212:30 P.M. My time at Lucky flew, and before I could check the clock it was already lunchtime. I was fortunate to intern with my freshman year roommate, who would always join me for lunch. Depending on our workload, some lunch breaks were spent at our desks.

1:30 P.M. Mail was usually delivered at this time of day, which was an exciting time for interns. An excessive amount of clothing, beauty, and even food packages flooded the office, and our mentors were always more than willing to share. I even got a gorgeous pair of leather loafers from ShoeMint!

3:00 P.M. Condé Nast gives interns an amazing learning experience. Each week they hold seminars with editors from every publication that they own. These seminars are to teach interns about the other companies, and the way in which they produce their print and digital content. My favorite seminar was the Teen Vogue editor panel. I was so inspired by their presentation that I contacted TV’s beauty editor Elaine Welteroth. We met for an informational interview and she taught me so much about her experiences, as well as shared professional advice. When you are placed in such an amazing setting, it’s important to take full advantage of your resources and the experienced people around you.

5:30 P.M. My days would end between 5:30 and 6:00 P.M. I never left with an incomplete assignment, so some days I would get out later than others. I emailed my mentor a list of the tasks I had been working on each day so she could keep track of my productivity. There was never a dull moment in the office, and there is always something to be done that could keep you busy.

My summer spent as a digital intern for Lucky was an amazing experience that I am so thankful for. My nine-week program was filled with exciting events, including the relaunch of LuckyMag.com and the adoption of the brand new editor-in-chief (fashionista) Eva Chen. I wouldn’t change my experience for the world!

Nicole Gentile